Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Busy...Busy...Busy


Happy Tuesday everyone!! I hope you are all enjoying this amazing weather. It sure makes it hard to sit in school all day long :)

My second graders continue to work VERY hard in here. I continue to introduce new things to them and add to know they're already doing.

Last week we continued to work really hard on our Read to Someone and Read to Self stamina. We are up to 25 minutes for Read to Self and 18 minutes for Read to Someone. AMAZING!!!! Last week I also taught them 2 more ways to Read to Someone: Choral Reading and Read 1 book. When you are reading with your child at night chat with them about the ways to Read to Someone. Maybe they can even teach you how to do it :) I also let go of some of my power and turned it over to the kids. It was a little scary for me but they did fabulous job! They learned a quick way to decide whose book tub to choose and they also learned how to choose a partner. Ask them about this...

Within literacy, I just wanted to let you know that I am completing some individual assessments this week and will hopefully be starting guided reading next week sometime. Each day I will also do group mini-lessons to help your child learn various reading strategies. As you can tell, we're very busy each morning during literacy!

On Friday we took a little break from Daily 5 and we discussed September 11th. I showed them a short video clip explaining what happened and then read a book written by students. It was called September 12: We Knew Everyone Would Be All Right. My kiddos has super questions about this day and were very eager to learn about it. I was excited to hear they went home and talked with you about this.

Science...ahhhh...my CRAZY part of the day!!!! As you know, we found seeds in fruits and vegetables and saved those seeds. We have since planted those seeds and some have already started to sprout. We will keep a close eye on those. Yesterday we discussed whether plants need soil to grow. Almost everyone said yes!! We planted 3 different types of seeds 3 different ways...only using water. We will look to see if they sprout.

We continue to review a lot in math and we will be taking a test at the end of the week. The big change was that Homelinks have started coming home. Your child will have one most nights. your child should be able to do them independently but please help out if needed. Try and get it done and return it the next day. I will understand if there wasn't any time and it needs to be done the following night. Have your child return it when it's done. I do keep track of these and will give out prizes if ALL of them are returned!!

I introduced a third part of Daily 5 this week as well: Word Work. Your child may call this word study as well. Basically I introduce a new/review sound to them on Friday and then they self-select words that have that sound. They will work on 6 words each week and we will buddy test on Friday. Your child will bring home his/her words each Tuesday. They will be in a sheet that says Look, Say, Cover, Write, Check at the top. We do work with the words a lot during the week but please feel free to practice with your child at home as well.

As you can tell we've been really busy in here lately. I continue to be impressed with 2A's Cadet Pride!!! Thanks for our support and for working with your child at home.

Continue have your child read each night.

No comments:

Post a Comment