Friday, October 15, 2010

Read...read...read

I am very proud to say that my 2nd graders have been working VERY hard during literacy time!! Thank you for reading with your child at home as well...they have been making a ton of progress already!

When your child is reading at home encourage him/her to use reading strategies to sound out the words. There are the strategies they know:

Chunk the sounds
Go back and reread
Look at the pictures
Cross Checking (Does it look right? Does it sound right? Does it make sense?)
Skip the word...read to the end of the sentences and come back

We have also been working really hard at reading the punctuation. This means that readers need to change their voice for the different type of sentence stoppers. I hope your child is practicing this at home :)

Once again, thanks for reading with your child at home and I hope all of my little readers are working hard to reach their October book-it goal!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment