Friday, September 16, 2011

Our Week in Review

Wow!  It has been a long time since I have done a blog post...sorry about that!!  We have been so busy in 2A lately.  Here is a run down or our lately activities.

My second graders continue to work VERY hard in here. I continue to introduce new things to them and add to know they're already doing.  The beginning of the year is really about establishing routines.  Some routines are review from last year but it's a matter of retraining them and reminding them!!

This week we continued to work really hard on our Work on Writing and Read to Self stamina. We are up to 20 minutes for Read to Self and 16 minutes for Work on Writing...AMAZING!!!!  This week I continued to introduce more ways to Read to Someone.  Kids LOVE reading with their friends!!  So far they know 3 ways to Read to Someone: Check for Understanding, I Read, You Read, and Choral Reading.  When you are reading with your child at night chat with them about the ways to Read to Someone. Maybe they can even teach you how to do it :)  So far I have been choosing their partners for them; next week they will learn how to do this.

On Monday we took a little break from Daily 5 and we discussed September 11th. I showed them a short video clip explaining what happened and then read a book written by students. It was called September 12: We Knew Everyone Would Be All Right. My kiddos has super questions about this day and were very eager to learn about it. I was amazed how much they already knew about this day. 

In social studies, we have been learning all about communities.  We are coming to the end of this unit so next week I will be testing students.  Next we will begin a science unit.  More to come about science later...

The first math unit was mostly a review from last year: addition facts, number grids, clocks, and counting money.  These were skills that your child should have learned.  If they seem to be strugging with money or telling time please practice at home.  I started assessing these skills on Thursday and will continue a couple of days next week.  Along with the written test I need to listen to each student count.  Thank you to your kids for returning their homelinks this week!! Your child will have one most nights; your child should be able to do them independently but please help out if needed. Try and get it done and return it the next day. I will understand if there wasn't any time and it needs to be done the following night. Have your child return it when it's done. I do keep track of these.

As you can tell we've been really busy in here lately.  I continue to be impressed with 2A's Cadet Pride!!! Thanks for our support and for working with your child at home.  Please continue have your child read each night.  Have a super weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment