Friday, October 2, 2009

Daily 5


Now that we have 31 days of school under our belts I can honestly say that we have really gotten into a routine. For me, the best part of the day is the morning!! I just love our morning meetings and Daily 5 and after some feedback from my students I think they feel the same way. We made a wordle today all about the Daily 5. Evidently they think it's pretty COOL and AWESOME!! We can consistently Read to Self and Read to Someone for 20 minutes. They love to do their Word Work and have been doing really well on their Buddy Tests each Friday. I think it's because they want a treat if they get them all correct:) I have also added Listen to Reading. Students are able to choose 3 books and listen to them. Next week I will add the final component: Work on Writing. I'm hoping this will go just as smoothly as the others.

Between each Daily 5 session I've starting doing Daily CAFE lessons. Ask your child what CAFE stands for (hopefully you will find out)!! It stands for Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency, and Expanded Vocabulary. These short lessons introduce or review strategies that will help your child become an even better reader. As the year progresses, I hope to have each student set reading goals for themselves. They will need to decide which of the CAFE components they need to work on. I will meet with them individually and help them with this goal.

Since we've gotten into a good morning routine, I've finally begun pulling Guided Reading groups. Just as before, students are grouped by their reading levels. We read a guided reading book together and discuss various skills that are found in the book.

I have already seen excellent things happening during our mornings. I can honestly say, 2A students LOVE reading during this time and they are excited. It's unbelievable!!! Please continue to encourage your child to read and thank you for reading with them at home:)

1 comment:

  1. Hi 2A-It sounds like you are doing a great job with the Morning Meeting, Daily 5 and CAFE! And, now you are ready to do Guided Reading groups. I am looking forward to seeing what awesome readers you become this year. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete