Sunday, January 31, 2010

Literacy Changes

As I promised after the new year, I have made some changes to our Daily 5 routine. So far the students seem to be enjoying them!! Hopefully they keep up the enthusiasm.

Each student has an assigned day when they need to do Raz-Kids during Listen to Reading. This is an online program that we are fortunate to have access to. I have entered each student into the computer and also entered their reading level. When it's their turn they need to go online and find their name. They have a list of books they need to complete, in any order. They need to listen to the book and follow along, read the book aloud, and then take a quiz over the book. The best part is...they get to earn points for each part completed!! These points go towards their spaceship!!

Secondly, students are recording a weekly podcast using Garageband. They need to practice 1 book in their reading tub for a week. They are supposed to use expression and be accurate. They are supposed to practice the book daily so they are well prepared to record. Each student records on his/her sharing day. Austin, Jenna, and Kael recorded on Friday. I am in the process of putting these on our 2A website. Hopefully I will have this done by tomorrow!

Thank you for reading with your child at home. I really appreciate your support. I am really proud of my 2A readers!!

1 comment:

  1. Libby has been talking about this - very neat twist on the daily 5 and great use of technology!

    ReplyDelete