Friday, January 15, 2010

What a Week!


Wow!!!!! I am definitely ready for winter to leave and for nicer days to come our way. It sure was nice to get a full day in today and we actually got a lot accomplished! I hope winter weather stays away from us for next week. We sure have a lot to do before conferences in a couple of weeks!!

Last week Miss Dralle had adjusted quite well to our classroom and the students had really warmed up to her. This week she was hardly here at all; she wasn't here today since Decorah did not have school. So...I can honestly say she didn't see much teaching at all this week:( However, she did find out that sometimes school schedules are chaotic and that teachers need to make adjustments!! Her last day is next Thursday so she will be observing us for only a couple more days.

During literacy last week I started DIBELS assessments and today I was able to finish them. Last week I also spent a lot of time reviewing the Daily 5 and its components. We're trying to get rid of the cobwebs that formed over Christmas break and our extended winter break!!

During our writing block I introduced paragraphs to the students. They learned that a good paragraph is made up of about 5 sentences and that they all need to be about the same topic. They write 5 sentences on 3 different strips of paper: green for the beginning sentence, yellow for the 3 details, and red for the closing sentence. They used those strips to write their paragraph on paper. They had to indent their first sentence!! I expect that they use paragraphs during writer's workshop from now on. Hopefully they remember!!

We started new units in math and science. Yep...we're back to science again! We are learning about the states of matter; so far we've only had time to learn about solids and liquids. Hopefully next week we can get a bit farther in science. In math we're learning about different polygons, lines segments, and parallel lines. The students really seem to enjoy that.

As I said before I really hope the weather turns around. We REALLY need to get back into a routine in 2A. I think the kids even need a routine again! Please remember to return your child's flouride sheet if you haven't done so already.

I hope everyone has a great weekend and gooooooo VIKINGS!!!!!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment