Tuesday, April 10, 2012

What have we been doing??

Wow...time sure is flying by!!  I hope everyone had a super Easter break!  I sure got a lot done around the house, spent time with my family, and ate a lot of yummy food and candy!  We are in the final stretch of the school year and I have A LOT to get accomplished!!

Your child may have mentioned that we are playing BINGO in here - they are correct!  As always, students are asked to show Cadet Pride while at school.  Unfortunately, this has sometimes been a struggle...so I decided to make it more fun with a game.  I put my 2A students into 4 groups and they named their group.  They need to work together and ALL show me Cadet Pride and if they do they earn a group ticket.  If a group earns 5 tickets they can choose a spot on the BINGO board.  The best part for them is that there is a reward in each spot.  The best part for me is that I have students showing me amazing Cadet Pride.  Keep up the good work 2A friends!!!!

Literacy: We are continuing our Community exploration in Lead 21.  We are learning how communities have changed and how people can change a community.  In two more weeks we will start our final Inquiry Project for the school year.  The comprehension strategies that this unit focuses on are listed on the right side of the blog.  When your child is reading please encourage him/her to make predictions and also summarize the story when finished.  Summarizing is a really difficult skill for most students!!

Writing: I introduced a new unit in writing: nonfiction and biography writing.  Your child read about several famous people and chose one they wanted to learn more about.  They started researching that person last week and taking notes.  We will continue with that and they will start writing a paper on their person.  We will work on paragraph skills and writing in complete sentences!!  Ask your child which famous person they are learning about - most were REALLY excited to learn about them.

Math: You may have noticed we are learning different metric and U.S. system measurements in math.  I am teaching the conversions between the different units and which unit they would use for different types of measurements.  Please continue to help your child with their homework if needed.  These last units are getting difficult.  Please remind your child they will have to THINK to solve some problems.  I have reminded them that school will continue to become more difficult and they will have to use their problem solving skills to get answers!!!

Our snack cupboard is empty!!  If you haven't sent a box of crackers to school lately please try and send one with your child.  Their stomachs will thank you!!

I hope everyone has a super week.  Remember...we have a 3 hour early dismissal tomorrow, April 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment